Monday, March 16, 2015

Five Myths about Canada Post’s cuts to home mail delivery:


Canada Post plans to phase out urban home
delivery within five years.  (REUTERS/Chris Wattie)
Half of Londoners already use community mailboxes. What’s the problem?’
About 19% of London’s mailing addresses (35,485 of 182,793, by Canada Post’s own figures) have community mailboxes (more accurately, self-serve mailboxes). Another 30% get apartment lobby delivery — safer and more secure than community mailboxes on the street. Just more than half the mailing addresses in London have door-to-door mail service, now threatened with cuts.
More importantly, existing community mailboxes were integrated as part of planned new subdivisions. What is proposed is different: imposing community mailboxes in neighbourhoods with established door-to-door service, where no public space is allocated for them.
This means they may be installed on municipal easements — sometimes in residents’ yards — with many negative impacts that existing community mailboxes don’t cause. Most of these impacts have yet to be studied by our city council.
Cuts to mail service are necessary in order to avoid burdening taxpayers.
Despite gloomy predictions, Canada Post has turned net profits in every year this century but one (2011, when it locked out employees). Our successful Crown corporation is not losing money. But the proposed cut in mail delivery service could bring massive downloads of costs (as yet undisclosed) to municipal budgets, potentially causing increased city taxes.
Canada Post has significantly engaged the community with its survey.
The Canada Post survey did not offer real choices about mail service, so not surprisingly, only about 16% of households surveyed bothered to respond. This is not the “meaningful consultation” that the Federation Canadian Municipalities calls a prior condition for changes in postal service.
Given a real choice, Londoners’ response rate opposing service cuts is much higher.
Seniors and people with disabilities will be accommodated by Canada Post.
The process offered by Canada Post requires significant disclosure of personal medical information, without guaranteeing what the accommodation might be or how long it would last.
Cuts to door-to-door mail service are a done deal that the city is powerless to oppose.
In this election year, the federal government knows postal service cuts will cost it votes, so Canada Post is hurrying to impose as many community mailboxes as it can, knowing other parties will not support these cuts as Harper’s Conservatives have.
More than 510 municipal councils across Canada have opposed these service cuts. London’s city council can, too. Now that proposed locations for community mailboxes are known (see http://londoners4door2door.blogspot.ca), we need town hall meetings where federal MPs, Canada Post chief executive Deepak Chopra and our mayor have to face communities that are affected by this loss of service, and account for their decisions.
David Heap and Jan Pennycook are members of Londoners for Door to Door.
From: http://www.lfpress.com/2015/03/13/door-to-door-mail-service-cuts-are-not-yet-a-done-deal

7 comments:

  1. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well..
    interior

    ReplyDelete


  2. Good Day !!

    I am Mis Nancy Leonard, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
    Lender. I want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary assistance as I'll be glad to offer you a loan at 2% interest rate to reliable individuals.

    Services Rendered include:

    *Home Improvement
    *Inventor Loans
    *Car Loans
    *Debt Consolidation Loan
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Loan
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.

    Please write back if interested.
    Upon Response, you'll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail:
    ptlenders@yahoo.com
    Yours Sincerely,
    Miss Nancy Leonard(MD)

    ReplyDelete


  3. I want to testify on how i got my loan Hello everyone My name is Mis Susan Wanda am here to testify how i got my loan from Mr Leonard. After i applied several times from various loan lenders who claimed to also testify right in this forum,i thought the testimonies where real and i applied but they never gave me loan. I was in need of an urgent loan to start a business and i applied from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan. Until a friend of mine introduce me to Mr Leonard. who promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any form of delay. I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met Mr.Leonard ,who are indeed helped with the loan and changed my belief.I don't know if you are in any way in need of a genuine and urgent loan,free feel to contact Mr.Leonard via his email {ptlenders@yahoo.com } Thank you may God bless you

    ReplyDelete


  4. Do you need an urgent blank ATM CARD to solve your financial needs and i just want to tell the world my experience with everyone. i discovered a hacking guy called Mike. he is really good at what he is doing, i inquired about the BLANK ATM CARD. if it works or even Exist, then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to their terms and conditions. three days later i received my card and tried it with the closest ATM machine close to me, to my greatest surprise it worked like magic. i was able to withdraw up to $4000. This was unbelievable and the happiest day of my life. there is no ATM MACHINES this BLANK ATM CARD CANNOT penetrate into it because it have been programmed with various tools and software. i just felt this might help those of us in need of financial stability. The card have really change my life. if you want to contact them, HERE is the email: blankatm156@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEST ONLINE HACKERS

    hello guys my name is Kelvin Peterson I was happy I went online to look for a hacker because I didn't regret it I got $40,000 from this great hackers guys am happy my family and business is back again they do various hack

    BLANK ATM CARD
    PAYPAL HACK TRANSFER
    WESTERN UNION HACK
    MONEY HACK
    BITCOIN INVESTMENT

    guess I am happy I came across them they are legit am a living proof I swear they are contact them today for your hack on
       www.officialonlinehacks.wordpress.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (437) 703 3498

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEST ONLINE HACKERS

    hello guys my name is Kelvin Peterson I was happy I went online to look for a hacker because I didn't regret it I got $40,000 from this great hackers guys am happy my family and business is back again they do various hack

    BLANK ATM CARD
    PAYPAL HACK TRANSFER
    WESTERN UNION HACK
    MONEY HACK
    BITCOIN INVESTMENT

    guess I am happy I came across them they are legit am a living proof I swear they are contact them today for your hack on
       www.officialonlinehacks.wordpress.com
    WhatsApp: +1 (437) 703 3498

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my name is Scott Mcall,  I want to use this medium to share to you guys about how my life changed for the better after meeting good hackers, I got $15,000USD while working with them. They are really efficient and reliable, they perform various hack such as.
    BLANK ATM CARD
    PAYPAL HACK TRANSFER
    WESTERN UNION HACK
    MONEY HACK
    BITCOIN INVESTMENT

    Please if you are interested in any of this, contact them via Jaxononlinehackers@gmail.com 
    WhatsApp: ‪+12192714465

    Contact them today and be happy

    ReplyDelete